"for love to come to you, it must come through you..."

Sunday, September 11, 2011

HOLE IN THE WALL...

HOLE IN THE WALL
On a recent visit to the local cell phone store, amid the hustle and bustle and comings and goings of customers, I could not help but notice something interesting.  Located in dead center of a large completely blank wall was a small opening…a hole in the wall approximately eighteen inches square.  As small as it was I could not really see what was past it, just an opening through which things could be passed from one room to the next. 
Customers in the store had only a hint of what was on the other side of this hole.  There was possibly only one technician working diligently, or perhaps another whole room full of busy, hard working people.  The room on the other side could have been as small as a closet or as large as a football field; all that was seen from the customer’s side was the small opening.
A multitude of problems were solved quickly and efficiently through this hole.  Basically whatever happened in the entire store revolved around it.  If a customer had a difficult question that the sales clerk could not answer, the clerk would simply walk over to the opening, ask the question, and provide the answer to the customer.  Or, as in my case, if a customer’s phone needed a minor repair, it was passed through that opening, only to be returned back through in a few minutes, repaired, seemingly as good as new.  Problem presented, through the hole, problem solved!
After watching this go on for a while--and, let’s face it, if you are in a cell phone store at all you are definitely in there for a “while”—it occurred to me how much I needed such a “hole” in my life!  Imagine having a small “hole” to slip all your problems through and have them all answered or returned to you “repaired”.  How great would that be!  I could think of dozens of reasons how I could use such a hole.   If I was hungry, I could walk up to the opening and say, “I am so hungry…” and out would come a delicious plate of hot steaming food.  Or possibly, I could say “I am lonely…” and a new friend would just make their way through the hole and into my life.
There are many, many “walls” in our lives; we know this because we all run smack into them each and every day.  Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have a “hole in the wall” in each of our lives?  All our questions would be answered, all our problems solved, all of our heartaches mended, all our sicknesses healed.   If life could only be that simple!  So many problems, but we have no “solution” window to pass them thru.  Or, possibly we do.  Possibly we are too busy focusing on how large our walls are that we do not even notice our own personal small square “hole.”
 I have a framed quote given to me as a gift during a very difficult period in my life.  It, too, is tiny, sitting in a small 3” square frame in my bedroom.   It states, “When God closes a door, He opens a window!”  The quotation has brought me comfort, and directs me to search my problems for the window God has provided.  I know the window is there, have faith it is there, but sometimes I, too, am so consumed with the huge wall I’ve just slammed into that I cannot see it. 
In considering this idea, the question comes to mind:  how can I find the “hole in the wall” of my life?    If God is true to His promise to always be with me, to always provide a way of escape from sin, to always walk holding my hand, how do I find my own personal “window”?   Matthew 6:33 gives the all inclusive answer: “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all of these things shall be added to you.”  While the promise here is ALL will be added – not part, not the easiest, not the most impossible, but ALL – what is my part in this?  What do I have to do?  First, seek first, first…that is my part, SEEK GOD’S KINGDOM FIRST.  If I am still doubtful, I can add Proverbs 3: 5, 6 to this equation: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight.” 
The next time your cell phone breaks, do not try to fix it yourself, do not try to live with it broken, and do not complain and cry about it, simply take it to the “hole in the wall.”  And so, more importantly with your life, instead of focusing on the “whole” wall, you need to search for the “hole” in the wall.  Take your broken heart and your broken life to that small window, behind which stand the Great Physician and Provider of every good and perfect gift!
Roberta Pledge

No comments:

Post a Comment