"for love to come to you, it must come through you..."

Thursday, August 25, 2011

NORMA JEAN GWINN HAYS

NORMA JEAN GWINN HAYS
Her small size was the ONLY thing “small” about my aunt; she had a huge heart, a huge spirit, a huge sense of humor, and a huge passion for living life.  The one thing you would always know about any given moment of any given day was that she was living her life fully.  If she was not busy, she was either sick or asleep! 
She had some favorites she loved…Charles, daughters, grandchildren, brothers, sisters, other family and extended family, her closest friends, her church family, keeping Landon, Wal-Mart, camping, Skipbo, singing fish, homemade caramel popcorn and coconut pies, chocolate with peanut butter, fish fries,  fig jelly, keeping her hair looking it’s best, and the list could go on and on.  She loved to cook and try new recipes!  She loved to have friends and family in her home, and everyone loved to visit knowing how welcomed they would be.  She basically just loved life, it’s just that simple!  Every minute of every day, it did not matter where she was or what she was doing…she loved it!
Not only did she love life, but if you knew her, she loved you!  The one thing that everyone in her life knew was that she had an abundance of love and concern for them.  You would never doubt the love and concern she had for you. 
Her sense of humor was also woven into everything she did.  She had a passion for humor and whether it was a practical joke or a singing fish or a red bikini, she was all about laughing and having fun! She would not only push the buttons on the singing animals to watch you laugh, but would buy you one as a gift so you could share the laughter with others.  Love and humor wrapped up together in one tiny package describes Jean to a “t”!
I count it such a blessing to have had a lifetime shared with her.  She lived with me as a child.  I can remember our Friday night dance parties, pizza parties, popcorn and coke parties, listening to Elvis records, and going to movies.  When she first married, she lived close by, and still would spend time with me.  I had to share her with Charles, but I loved him too and they would let me spend the night and take me swimming or to drive in movies. 
When children came along and with my life changing to, our time was divided, but she would still include me in fun.  She also helped me get my first office job at Ideal Chemical, where I learned that dreaded job of filing!  I never knew there could be so many things to file!  I have so many memories through the years, but those early year memories are some of my favorite…she is one of the very first faces I can remember in my life besides my parents.
Jean never stopped….she reminded me of that Eveready Rabbit…only instead of batteries, it was her joints!  If one of them failed her she simply had them replaced and kept going.  No reason to stop living life just because a knee, or hip, or elbow refused to cooperate.  Change them out and get on with living! Even the cancer couldn’t stop her.  She tackled it head on and according to the report the week before she left us, had almost completely overcome it! 
The Lord answered her and our prayers in taking it away and blest us with the good report we had prayed for.  Even though He answered our prayers, He was still ready for her to come Home…and why wouldn’t He be!  Heaven is surely a more beautiful place, a more attractive place for all of us that knew her, because she is there. 
When I yearn for Heaven, I do not first think of the beauty to the eye, but of the beauty to the heart.  Oh, I know those streets of gold will be wonderful to behold, but more beautiful to me is the meeting of my loved ones who have walked ahead.  They call my name not only to live each day on earth to the fullest with God, but also to live so that I can walk eternally in the joy of His and their presence. 
Jean is there now and I like to imagine her running with her Mama, Papa, brothers and sisters that are there ahead of us.  I like to imagine them all getting excited about the time when we will all be there together…forever, and ever, and ever…no more tear or heartbreak or fears, only love and laughter and singing in a place more magnificent than our earthly minds can imagine.  I’m going to stay here as long as I can, but nothing thrills me more than knowing I’m going to be with them all at Home someday.  Hope you will come along and join us…how beautiful Heaven must be!
Roberta Pledge
December 20, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment